Friday 6 July 2007

Sweet tinkle of ‘part time’ pay

Students are working part time in the city, happily, for different reasons. Annifred Solomon and Lauella Amy scout around to find out how and why they do it and how well

Enterprise Students cope well working part-time and studying with concentration during the time they get

Some are driven by dire need; some just relish the sheer thrill of being out there. Inspirational sagas of struggles for survival and money-spinning dreams apart, a growing legion of ambitious youth is rushing headlong to grab the early promises of lucrative part-time jobs.

Juggling with tight schedules between the classroom and a workplace, many enterprising youngsters are grooming themselves into truly dynamic, multi-tasking go-getters. Here is a new breed of teens who love to do more than just spend their parents’ money. From part-time jobs at call centres, sales counters, marketing, hospitality, banks, insurance companies to making a living out of what you enjoy like modelling, compering, working with event management companies etc, options are aplenty. The number of teen-earners is on the rise and even long work hours don’t deter them.

After six hours of college, Ivy Josphene Thompson of St. Teresa’s College rushes to Fatima Hospital Perumpadappu, where she works as the Patient Relations Executive from 4 – 6 pm. “There’s no greater feeling than earning your own salary, feeling fiercely independent and being treated with respect like a professional. It definitely gives you a high. Dressing for the job is a minor hitch. But who’s complaining! I love working even if it means studying late night.”

Part-timers are wooed to call centres mushrooming all over the cities. Every candidate – the minimum qualification required is ‘Plus Two’ - is trained in American English and the essentials required while dealing with international customers. With excellent pay it’s no wonder why many opt for call centre jobs first. However, with its odd working hours call centre jobs are getting out of favour with ‘regular course pursuing part-timers.’

Banks and insurance companies have made it to the list of student job seekers for years now. “I handle study and work beautifully; I find plenty of time for both,” claims Nadiya Faizel, who works as Office Assistant for Bajaj Allianz Akshay Services at Edapally. “My parents are not too thrilled with my part-time prospects. They let me go ahead for my sake; they trust me a lot. Everyone should try their hand at some job early on. You’ll get a grip over your life. It’s worth it.”

“We prefer part-timers as they are very enthusiastic and are very helpful during the busy hours from 5pm to 10pm,” says Ashok Kumar, Restaurant General Manager, PizzaHut, Ernakulam South. He feels that the benefit is mutual. “We train newcomers and cultivate a working habit in them, giving them an opportunity to make their own living.” For Clint Mathew, who is a Hotel Management student at the IIMS, Valanjambalam, working at Pizza Hut is part of his curriculum which will earn him a certificate of work experience as well.

Who says part-time jobs have to be about “all sweat and no play?” A major breakthrough in recent times has redefined the traditional concept of ‘work.’ “Music, enjoyment and lots of money - that’s what I get from work. I do shows in south India and Mumbai. I celebrate my job,” DJ John, a student of Madras Christian College, harps on. Even during his Plus Two days he was part of the rock band ‘Evergreen’ as the Finance Manager. Doing shows in Bangalore, Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi for them work was an excuse to pursue their passion for music, he recalls. “Do I manage money better? I wish I could say ‘yes’ but…” he chuckles.

Riya Mary Ninan, who loves compering shows - she was a shining star at the Airtel Fourth quarterly event in January - makes it clear: “I go for ‘part times’ when I’m in dire need for extra pocket money. And the exposure you gain is an added attraction. My perspective on money is changed. When it’s your own hard-earned money, you value it more.”

“My parents worry a bit about me working as they feel I’ll have more resources at my disposal to spend. I’m no different than most teens, I study hard just before my exams. So work and study don’t clash,” insists Ashlyn, III BSc Computer Applications student at the Sacred Heart’s College. He and his team called Extreme Graphs engage themselves in graphic designing for magazines and freelancing.

Mangala, who hosts ‘Minnum Tharam’ for Asianet television and has had a stint in Malayalam films too, says: “Hosting a programe in front of an audience and being on the sets with Jagadish is a great experience indeed. Making your own living is an eye opener. Every single rupee becomes so precious. I even help my mother with decisions on financial matters at times.”

With increasing demand for phone-in shows, talented ones get to be television anchors too. Susan Jacob, who hosts ‘Hello Good Evening’ for Kairali TV, enthusiastically says: “I discovered something more about myself. I didn’t know I had it in me to perform at a live show. It’s very demanding as once the show is aired it’s totally in the hands of the anchor whether the show is a hit or a flop. I’m lucky; my family supported me all the way.”

Multi-level marketing networks have attracted aspiring young promoters and sales executives with lucrative commission offers and a rigorous regimen of “motivational” inputs. Many value the intense marketing pitch as a tool for their own personality development!

At the end of the day, every part-timer has got a reason to celebrate. For they have conquered the art of balancing work and life. It’s a feat worth boasting about.

No comments:

Post a Comment